An unfortunate accident with a bad SD-card reader caused me to lose one set of photographs taken of the painting phase.
As of now, the 2-tone upper camouflage has been airbrushed, and sealed under a gloss varnish.
My kit had a short-shot ventral fin; the plastic did not fully fill the entire mold, losing the tip. I sliced the ragged edge straight, then superglued a thin piece of stock styrene. Once the joint had hardened, a little sanding produced the following results.
The wings were finally glued on. Care was taken to ensure the wings dried at the correct 3-degree anhedral droop.
Due to the kit design, a large part of the join will need to be eliminated (marked in red below).
You can see the rivet lines indicating the true panel breakdown of the actual wing.
To avoid knocking off the delicate photoetch bits, I’ve delayed putting them on until the bulk of assembly is done.
The Jaguar does not have traditional ailerons for roll control. The top spoilers to control roll are supplied as photoetch, and attached here in the raised position for visual interest.
The “fence” mid-way along the wing is also glued on now.
The tail end of the fuselage featured bare metal.
Here I am using my preferred metal paint; Alclad II Chrome and Aluminium.
These are lacquer paints, so plenty of ventilation is essential during airbrushing.
Next, I added a little bit of flat black into the airbrush cup, mixed into the Alclad, then airbrushing thin layers of darker shading onto the separate panels.
Masking was done by holding a piece of thin card over each section.
Prior experience has shown the Alclad can be marked if I applied adhesive masking tape on them shortly after initial application.
Here’s the engine temporarily fitted in to see the overall effect.
A gloss coat has been applied (AK Interactive acrylic gloss varnish). This serves to protect the Alclad paint from the subsequent masking. I will mask this area off before painting the main camouflage colours.
The mis-numbering of the instructions is the low-point of this kit. Things have gotten to the point where if anything is handed (slats, flaps, gear) I can safely assume it is numbered wrong; following the drawing and dry-fitting is a better way.
The intakes have been assembled, (interior) painted and glued onto the fuselage. Some sanding of the inner surface (where it mates with the splitter) ensures the outer surfaces are flush.
Sanding the inside surface saves me from losing the panel details if we putty and sand the outsides.
The wing tip lights (clear parts) were glued on. Fit is near-perfect. Once the glue has dried, sanding with 3M sanding sponges and polishing with a nail-file makes it completely flush with the wing profile.
The green stuff is liquid masking.
The vertical stabilizer is made up from three parts, with a join line passing through panel and rivet lines. Weird choice of parts breakdown that causes unnecessary putty work.
Modelling vs assembling and all that argument, but life’s too short for bad kits.
Only one gun barrel/muzzle was supplied. Instructions point to part C8 being the starboard gun, but that is actually the gun housing. I read on another’s build review that some French Jaguars only had one gun, so I left it at that.
Engine exhaust section airbrushed with Aclad II Aluminium. Not painting the rest of the engine since I am closing up the engine sections.
The “feathers” will be brush painted a darker shade of metal later.
I have to admit, the main attraction of the Jaguar to me, was the beefy landing gear.
While Kitty Hawk did a commendable job of moulding them, I sought to boost the realism by adding the hydraulic lines.
These were done using stretched sprue, following reference photos found online.
The kit wrongly supplies two APU exhausts for the airbrake bays.
The starboard side should be a refuelling port. This was made using scrap plastic, cut and shaped.